Sunday, October 18, 2015

Reflective blog 10-12/10-18

     This previous week a log of reviewing was done. The big problem coming into Monday was that many of the students in the class did not know how to properly find the Empirical formula as well as the Molecular formula. Our main goal the past week was to get us prepared for our test on last Friday. But I will go further in depth of how and what techniques we learned to be as prepared as we could for this test.
     On Monday, we worked on getting the same answers for the homework that was assign over last weekend. I was quite confused at first by some of the later questions on the worksheet. I was absent on Monday so I missed out on the discussions about the worksheet, but I was able to get ahold of a friend to get me the answers. On that day we also had a short quiz to see if we were able to apply changing grams into moles and vice versa. One of the harder things on the quiz was placing the right amount of "sig figs". But Dr. J was nice enough to not take points off for unaccurate amounts of "sig figs".


     Tuesday, we recieved the study guide and we worked in class on the study guide as well as worksheets for Empirical formula. We were asked to apply the conversions between moles and grams, to find the Empirical formula. What we had to do was divide the other moles by the smallest amount of moles found and use the ratio to find the Empirical formula. Then, based on the molar mass, you must divide the molar mass by the moles of each elements combined. Thursday we reviewed the study guide and worked on it in class. Finally Friday was the big test. I found a question specifically hard because I forgot to study that question on the study guide. I feel confident that I missed a couple questions, but hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.
     Overall, the week was pretty relax with reviewing. The week ended stressfully with a test, but I feel comfortable going into next week, and I am excited to learn a new unit. I am glad I got the opportunity to learn and actually understand Empirical formula and all, instead of acting like I do but don't actually don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment